Thursday, June 24, 2021

Road Most Traveled

 





Over twenty years ago, my parents, along with nine of their closest friends, traveled to Maine to visit Bar Harbor and Acadia. I was busy with a family of my own then, and didn’t really pay much attention to my parents retirement vacations. Only recently, after Mark and I ended up in this area, my mom told me Maine  was the “main” place my Dad wanted to visit when he retired and that the area made such an impression on her, that if asked today, “where is one place you’d like to revisit from the past?” her answer would be Bar Harbor. 

Of the eleven people who made that trip, only five are still alive. I’m not sure how much the area has changed since then, but I’ve loved seeing and doing things I know my parents saw and did when they visited here. Up until now, I would have always said, the road less traveled is the superior one. But knowing, after twenty years, I’m on the same road my parents were on, when they were my age, gives me a sense of connection and continuity I wasn’t expecting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment