Monday, June 21, 2021

Can You Bare It?


The summer solstice is here! June 21st is the first day of summer and the longest day of the year. It also happens to be Naked Hiking Day. I first heard about this “unofficial” holiday, in 2012, on the Appalachian Trail. I know many people might not be comfortable with clothes optional events but if you are interested in this summer solstice tradition, it’s best to make sure you are on US Forest Service or National Park lands when participating. There are no federal laws against nudity but there can be local/state ones that consider it a criminal offense.

After much research, and word of mouth, Mark discovered that Acadia National Park is home to an obscure lake where naked hiking and skinny dipping are allowed if done discreetly. I won’t disclose the name of the lake, or its location, but today I got to check off an item that has been on my bucket list for nine years.





2 comments:

  1. Wow looks really nice up there!
    I’ve been to Bangor and Bar Harbor, but not Acadia!
    Dan & Meg, camping neighbors in West Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love it here! I think you guys would too. Hope all is well. Happy trails until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete