Saturday, May 16, 2020

Unexpected Surprises



I love unexpected surprises. Today was supposed to be an ordinary resupply day, in Boise, but a message from, Randy and Chris, old friends from our Washington, DC days, resulted in a rendezvous, at a rest area, on I 84. We hadn’t seen our friends since they moved to Seattle over five years ago! What a wonderful, unexpected surprise to see their new Airstream, meet their new pup and catch up on old times.

A couple of other things I want to make note of, in the context of unexpected surprises. A goal of mine, on the road, is to see things I’ve never seen before and hopefully learn about things I didn’t even know existed. On this trip, one of the strangest sightings we’ve had, was a giant spider, along the roadside, outside Carson City. It’s constructed out of an old Volkswagen Beetle and doesn’t seem to promote any particular business. When I did some research, I learned that artist, David Fambrough made four of the sculptures, in 1979, and placed them in obscure spots around Nevada.

Another unusual thing we noticed, when we got close to Winnemucca, NV; almost every pickup truck we saw had a flag with an X on it attached to the truck bed. At first I thought they might be protesting the Governor’s “stay at home order” but after inquiring, I found out the flags were safety flags for worker’s vehicles that travel on active mine sites.




1 comment:

  1. It was great seeing you and Mark. Happy trails and safe travels until we cross paths again.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete