Saturday, March 4, 2023

Wishful Thinking

 

We’re camping for the week at Lost Dutchman State Park, 40 miles east of Phoenix, in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains. If you like hiking, you’ll love this place. Several trails in the park lead into the Superstition Wilderness and surrounding Tonto National Forest.

We were a bit disappointed when we first got here because a front bringing rain and temperatures 20° below average were expected. Little did I realize what a blessing the “bad” weather would be.

When researching the area, I discovered there was an  obscure hike I could do to a place called Massacre Falls, just a few miles from the park. The falls are elusive and are only visible after a heavy rain. The forecasted rain came, despite my wishes, and brought something magical with it. We woke up to a beautiful snow in the desert.

You really have to be careful what you wish for. If I’d gotten my preference of a cloudless day in the 70’s, I would have missed an epic snow hike and rarely seen waterfalls!






No comments:

Post a Comment