Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Forever Friends

 

We got some sad news last night. Our friend Kathy, let me know her husband, Larry, had died. It’s hard to describe Larry because he truly was a unique individual. A native Californian who moved to Tennessee five decades ago, he was the only person I ever met that I would call cool. He seemed to truly like and respect himself and others. He was interesting and fun, open, real and honest to the core. 

He and Kathy were older than Mark and me and we looked up to and admired them. They were ahead of us in everything; marriage, child rearing, teen years, college decisions, dealing with an empty nest, preparing for retirement etc. etc….. I can’t even begin to list all the things they did that embellished our life.

Larry had a huge music collection. When Mark and I married I came from a background of country/bluegrass and Mark was solidly steeped in classic rock. Larry introduced us to music we could both embrace; The Band, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead, just to name a few.

Before Kathy and Larry came into our lives I thought the only cheeses you could put on a sandwich were American or Velveeta. Margarine was the spread you put on your toast and you usually ordered carnations at the florist’s to show respect at a funeral. The two of them not only broadened my worldview and impacted the way I raised my children, they also brought cheddar cheese, real butter and Ranunculus into my life. I mention Ranunculus because when Kathy’s mother died, years ago, she told me about this beautiful, favorite flower of hers. Ranunculus (also known as Persian buttercups) come in every color of the rainbow and are perennials. The word perennial means lasting or existing for an infinite time.

Sending heartfelt sympathy and all my love to Kathy and Larry, our perennial friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment