Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Beautiful Books


When asked about his opinion on books and reading, writer, William Faulkner had this advice, “Read, read, read.” I love to read, and one way I entertain myself, while traveling about the country, is to make sure I always have a stack of good books. I couldn’t believe my luck (while looking for a disc golf course in tiny Alberton, MT)  Mark and I  stumbled upon Mountain Valley bookstore. I don’t believe I’ve ever been inside a building with more books (other than a public library). Keren Wales (the owner since 1978) estimates she has 100,000 used books. She also has an amazing system keeping track of them all. I was thrilled to replenish my travel supply and visit such an impressive store that has survived the digital age.

Wandering the aisles of the bookstore, however, brought to mind something my daughter, Kady, recently posted in response to friends asking for tangible ideas to show support for people of color after the George Floyd tragedy. (Kady’s husband is black and they have a three year old little boy together.) She encouraged her friends, with children, to buy children’s books with black protagonists, and read them during story time. In her words: “When we read, we relate and empathize with the characters we are reading about. In most children’s books, the protagonist is white, so not only is the empathy built, during story time, centered on white characters, it reinforces the idea that whiteness is normal and blackness isn’t. No matter where you live, or who your child’s friends are, reading about a brown girl who doesn’t want to leave the park, or a black boy whose pen pal is a dragon, will help them build empathy for others.” She also noted: “If you’re not a mom (or dad), consider buying these types of books and donating them to area pre-K and elementary schools.

Kady is a teacher, as well as a mom, and I love that she sees the importance and power of books.

One last quote I’ve always loved, from C.S. Lewis: “ We read to know we are not alone.”


No comments:

Post a Comment