Monday, March 2, 2020

Leaving Arizona



Today we say goodbye to Arizona as we make our way north, to southern Utah. We’ve had an amazing time in The Grand Canyon State. However, we did get some sobering news when we had a parting lunch, yesterday, with our friends, the Stichs. They were on a hike in Sedona with their son, daughter-in-law and four month old grandson, when a man they had met on the trail found himself in serious distress; Cathy and Phil’s son and daughter-in-law are both nurses and came to the man’s aide, calling 911and doing CPR until EMT’s arrived. In the end, there was nothing anyone could do. I’m not sure why I’m sharing this story; I wasn’t involved. I guess I’m just proud of my friends unhesitating response to help someone in need. The incident also made me think of the book, “The Year of Magical Thinking “. It’s a true story, written by Joan Didion after her husband suddenly and unexpectedly died. One of her quotes I’ve never forgotten is, “Life can change in an instant. An ordinary instant.” I really want to make every instant count!

Last lunch in Cottonwood 

Cathy & Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment